A LONG time ago, circa 2003, I was told to get dressed up for Valentine's dinner and be ready by 8:00. A few minutes before 8:00 one of Pat's best friends arrived at the back door to the KD house, all dressed up {this was unusual for our "farm boy" friend whose nickname is Ox} and with an umbrella in hand since it was raining. Pat was no where in sight. Instead I was chauffeured to Pat's house, where he and his roommates had moved all of the furniture out of their living room and set up a single small round table with two chairs and two purple candles. Pat was waiting for me, and as we sat down at the table his roommates, all dressed up proceeded to serve us our dinner and drinks. Pat had made the dinner himself, spaghetti - normal spaghetti, but with a special sauce. Not Ragu. His mother had taught him how to make spaghetti sauce from scratch. Complete with dicing up vegetables and each spice being put into the pot on the stove at a certain time in the process.
It was fabulous! And so I began to realize even more, what a neat guy he was. He had made our dinner completely by himself, not exactly common for a 21 year old male college student. He had convinced his college friends, all with girlfriends, to spend their Valentine's night with us acting as waiters and chauffeurs. I don't remember what gifts we exchanged, but I very vividly remember our dinner - and how my love for his spaghetti dinner came to be. We have since used his spaghetti dinner to celebrate many occasions, and often have it on Valentine's Day.
![]() |
| This picture now resides in a scrapbook, so I took a picture of the picture |
This year, we had decided we didn't want to make a big fuss about Valentine's Day, but that we wanted to start a tradition with Jacob. A spaghetti dinner tradition. {almost Lady and the Tramp style, right??} and so tonight, Pat will make for Jacob and I his spaghetti and home made sauce. For us to enjoy. And hopefully as Jacob grows older, and we continue our Valentine's dinner he will realize that his Dad is pretty special, and maybe learn how to make the spaghetti sauce for his Valentine when he gets older.
Happy Valentine's Day!


What an awesome tradition to start with your family! That's a neat story!!
ReplyDeleteThat was my favorite valentines story! Thanks for the smile!
ReplyDelete