Even though my doctor put me on bed rest, I did manage to beg her enough to let me go to a bridal shower Saturday night. I was just headed around the corner from my house and PROMISED I'd sit during the event. I had a FANTASTIC time getting to catch up with friends from college. The stories told brought back some great memories, and I think we laughed most of the night. At one point I remember someone telling someone else not to make me laugh so hard, my water might break. I assured them this was NOT the case as I was being induced the next night and that Jacob had waited this long, he would surely be waiting another 24 hours. BOY WAS I WRONG!
Below: "Ladybugs" - my KD pledge class - missing Lizzy, she was in the next picture. Please note the “orb” in front of my belly, think what you want… but I’ve been told it was Jacob’s guardian angel. (About 1 hour before I went into labor.)
The Rest of the Story...
I called Pat at 10:15 to let him know I was headed home from the shower and hungry! He fixed me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I managed to scarf down while talking to Laura. As soon as I got off the phone with her I turned to Pat on the couch and proceeded to tell stories from the night. About that time I felt a little pop and excused myself to the bathroom. After a few minutes of contemplating I came to the top of the stairs and believe my exact words were, “Um, Guy,” (talking to Pat) “I think we might have an issue” Pat, unaware of what was about to happen, just asked what that issue was. I informed him I was pretty sure my water had just broken, and was going to call the doctor. The on call doctor said, yes indeed it sounded like my water had broken and told us to head to labor and delivery. I wasn’t as convinced. I was sure I was making this all up and this was false labor. I never had a big “gush” as I had been told to expect. Pat and I calmly made sure we hadn’t forgotten anything and packed up the car with our hospital bags. Soon there after I started having contractions 5 minutes apart. By the time we got to the hospital a little after midnight they were almost 3 minutes apart. After about an hour of being hooked up to monitors and being examined, the nurses decided I was indeed in labor, but my water hadn’t broken completely, it had just sprung a leak. I was 3 cm and 100% effaced, Pat and I were told we might be able to expect some pushing in 9-10 hours and so, we made the phone calls to our parents. By 3 am I was crawling out of my skin in pain and asked for an epidural, by 4 am I was almost 100% pain free. The doctor was worried that my contractions wouldn’t be strong enough to push Jacob out and with the combination of the epidural she was worried my labor would slow down, so she ordered pitocin. The next time I was checked – around 5 am – I had progressed to 6 cm. By the time I was given the pitocin I was to 8 cm. At 6:30 am the doctor and nurse came running into my room and asked if I could feel any pressure. I couldn’t. Turns out Jacob’s heartbeat was dropping with each contraction which indicated it was time to start pushing. I was checked again and was “complete” 10 cm and 100% effaced. We called our parents again to let them know that things had moved along MUCH faster than expected – so much for starting to push around 10 or 11 am. When my mom, grandmother and sister showed up they were breaking down the hospital bed for me to begin to push. After two practice pushed I got sick to my stomach and the nurse informed me that some people could get sick all the way through this part… great! I wasn’t one of those people and managed to push for only one hour and 15 minutes. Jacob arrived at 8:51 am. He was taken to the nursery shortly after he was born because his pediatrician was in the hospital at the time. About the time Pat brought Jacob back my family was allowed to come into the room. Mom, Nannie and Sarah had been waiting. Dad, Jen and Gracie had just arrived while Jacob was in the nursery and Papaw and Laura shortly followed. I was thankful everyone made it, but didn’t have to wait through the labor process.
We came home Tuesday, the 2nd, and I have been attempting to recover and take care of Jacob. Pat stayed home the rest of last week with me and didn’t return to work until this Monday. He has been FANTASTIC, as I knew he would be. Changing diapers, feeding, changing clothes, cleaning Jacob's umbilical cord, doing the laundry, cooking... there isn't anything he doesn't do. This week my Nannie has stayed at our house with us to help me as best as possible. Jacob’s been a great baby and only had a few times when he was inconsolable. He’s been eating well and was already back to birth weight at his “weight check” appointment on the 4th.
I, on the other hand, haven’t faired as well. Things weren’t “right” with my recovery from delivery and I had to go to the doctor Wednesday. Turns out there are some issues that need to be resolved and I will have outpatient surgery on Monday to fix them. LUCKY ME. So Monday morning Pat, Jacob and I will head back to the hospital for what should be a short procedure and then I will be back to square one in the recovery department. Because of the anesthesia I will not be able to feed Jacob for 24 hours and he will need to take a bottle. I do worry how he will react once I can feed him again after taking a bottle for so long while he’s still so young. Hopefully he won’t give up on me and will let me feed him once this is all over.
Other than that – all is well and went well. Thanks to everyone who’s been checking on us and sent kind words our way. We’ll appreciate the continued support through next week as I venture through the first week with just Jacob and I at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment