Living in Baltimore we were quite spoiled with Charm City Cakes. Chef Duff was just getting started in his cake world when we lived there. The company I worked for was celebrating their 10 year anniversary and Anitra and I were in charge of the celebration - we immediately called and spent a Saturday afternoon on Remington Avenue with Chef Duff and ordered a masterpiece. While our experience wasn't quite what you see on TV, I was still in awe of the other cakes they make.
When we moved back to Lexington, I found a neat little bakery that ladies I worked with told me about, and I picked up a few cupcakes and ordered our house warming cake and one of Pat's birthday cakes from there. Their cakes were pretty, but not different enough, like a Charm City Cakes.
And THEN, I was introduced to Confused Confections.
It started out so innocently. Jennifer was hosting a baby shower for me, and saw a picture of a baby carriage cake. She went to the creator and asked them to make one for my shower in Bowling Green.
We indulged.
AND THEN, we just had to have one again. So for Father's Day we ordered this popcorn cake. My dad is obsessed with popcorn, and so it was very fitting for the occasion.
And next thing you knew, it was time for Jacob's birthday. A few weeks before he was turning one we found out about Jacob's egg allergy, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to tackle cakes for him - maybe cupcakes, but not big cakes. I called up Confused Confections, and wouldn't you know - it was no big deal to make an egg free cake! They had three flavors to choose from, and had NO PROBLEMS accommodating Jacob's food allergy. Other bakeries in town either couldn't accommodate it or acted as if it was a huge problem and would need to charge me an arm and a leg to make an egg free cake - as if I needed any reason to never go to another bakery - we were hooked! And they've been WONDERFUL to work with ever since!!
Jacob needed several "smash" cakes for his birthday. One for his one year pictures...
And then one to match his big cake at his party. His party was a week after his actual birthday, so he also had a small cake on his actual birthDAY. Confused Confections made three smash cakes, a big cake and the cupcakes we took to school to celebrate.
Two days later, my parents were not ones to leave out a birthday celebration, so I got a seahorse cake.
For Pat's birthday we wanted something fun! It was the big 3-0. So, what do you get the man who has a bar instead of a coat closet in his living room? A bucket of beer of course! If you look close you'll notice they changed some of the beer labeling around to say Patrick, and 30 years :)
Jennifer wanted her own cake too. I forgot to take a picture - she picked out a keylime cake. Hers looked just like the one below, only with green zebra instead of black.
And often when I do my first Kelly's Kids open house of the season I stop by to get cupcakes that coordinate with one of the clothing patterns. This spring they made some great cupcakes to go with the Tropical Turq line.
We've used them for multiple events and can not say enough wonderful things about this bakery! They have been so accommodating to the food allergy we have in our home - and I am quite thankful!
I've already ordered Jacob's 2nd birthday cake and cupcakes for his class - I CAN NOT WAIT! It's going to be a Thomas the Train topsy turvy cake. SO EXCITED!!










so cute. i love this. Super glad I found your blog. I'm a new follower, I hope you will as well. I started my blog a little over a month ago. It's all about celebrity fashion from the point of view of an LA stylist. Stop by to see multiple post a day on all the latest celebrity fashion news and check out pictures from the fall/winter preview I attended yesterday in Beverly Hills. Would love your support. xoxo
ReplyDeletewww.fashboulevard.blogspot.com