October 17, 2011

2 1/2 Years

It took almost 2 1/2 years for it to happen. And it happened today.
I have such a big boy now.
Jacob has attended the same day care every day since he was 13 weeks old. He knows the building, he knows the kids, he knows the teachers and directors. He is comfortable there. But every day he screams and cries when I leave him there. He grabs my leg and holds on for dear life. Other kids have no problem with drop off.  Not Jacob. He doesn't want anything to do with his friends or teachers at 8:30 in the morning. He walks into the building fine, but as soon as he sees the door to his room, he turns around. On the days I carry him in, he clings tighter to me. The teachers pry him out of my arms and assure me every day that when I leave he is fine.  He's normally happily playing when I pick him up and sometimes doesn't want to leave in the afternoons.

Today, he walked right into his room.  He held my hand all the way to the play area, where he saw a teacher from his last classroom subbing for a few minutes while his teacher ran an errand. He walked right up to Ms. Ashley, handed her his cheese wrapper {we must have snacks in the car on the way to school, don't you?} and started to take off his coat.
She handed me the coat to take to his cubby.
Normally, Jacob follows me crying as I put his items in his cubby.
Not today. Not this morning.
He stayed with his friends.
I walked back to his play area to tell him goodbye for the day, give him a kiss... he walked right up to me and waived at me. With a big smile on his face. And then, walked away before I could bend down to hug him.
I smiled too.
The biggest smile I've ever had when I've dropped him off at "school".
Today was a big day.
Today Jacob was a big boy and decided it was okay for me to leave and he would have fun - and be just fine :)

It only took almost 2 1/2 years for it to happen.

Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails