I've been limping my dear Jeep Liberty along for a few days, I'm hoping not a few days too many.It started last Thursday when I noticed some high pitched squealing coming from the engine. When I started my car in the morning, it sounded like a hungry baby bird was dying under my hood. Followed on Friday by cold air blowing from my vents when I stopped my car for more than 10 seconds (keep in mind it was under 20 degrees here last week, cold air was NOT intentional). Friday I called our trusty hole-in-the-wall mechanic and they suggested we check the coolant level, and might need a new belt. Coolant was low and yep, need a new belt.
Saturday Pat loaded up my car with coolant... Sunday he loaded it up with more coolant, because it was low when he went to church. Yesterday I noticed a puddle of coolant under my car when I came out from dropping Jacob off at daycare. How special??
The squealing has continued along with a little knocking under the hood... thank goodness Pat picked up Jacob yesterday afternoon because I wasn't sure Lady Liberty would make it home last night. I had NO HEAT on the way home. My hands were so cold when I got home that my fingers were red. There was a little bit of sleet on the way home, and I had to stop twice to scrape it off my windshield, my lights kept getting dimmer and dimmer, and the battery light came on the dashboard the whole way home (previously it would just come on for a minute and then go back off) and still more knocking and squealing and a little shutter here and there.....
All this to say, Pat has Lady Liberty at his company's shop today and is working away. He won't tell me what's wrong - I just know he managed to get it to the shop this morning after he took Jacob and I to pick up Jen's old car to take into work this morning. I've heard belt, alternator, water pump, new hose... oh... the list sounds scary!
Jacob needs reliable transportation.
My experience with Jeeps over the last 11 years tells me that once they start to go... it's all down hill. We might be car shopping soon - any recommendations?? I'm thinking Nissan Altima. I have only ever owned Jeeps, and short of a brief 3 month stint in college with a Lincoln Town Car (wow, that brings back memories) I've only ever driven an SUV. However, the budget with a child in an not-so-cheap day care who likes to get sick and have Mom take days off from work will dictate A LOT of this decision. Also, anyone know a good place to sell a Liberty other than trying to trade it in? It will be in great running condition after this little trip to the car hospital. I wish car insurance covered repairs... and I could just pay a deductible ::sigh::
I loved our short stint in the Towne Car with our handicapped tags! Winter was a little warmer on the Hill!!
ReplyDelete:) You know me, I will preach a Honda Accord into the ground. It is the BEST car, I swear to you and it goes FOREVER! You can't go wrong with the Altima either....remember my old one? It ran forever as well.